1. Short Description
Many optimization problems in the real world involving finding solutions with hundreds, thousands, or even tens of thousands of decision variables. This poses a serious problem for optimization algorithms, since the search space of a problem usually grows exponentially with the scale of the problem (i.e., the number of decision variables). The algorithms at least become slower (due to the larger candidate solutions), but usually also the solution quality decreases significantly if the problems grow.
For several years, researchers at UBRI contribute to the creation of better approaches for large-scale problems, on the domain of numerical optimization, in terms of developmental, indirect genotype-phenotype mappings, and on an organisatorial level, by organizing competitions.
2. Involved Researchers
- Prof. Dr. Ke Tang [唐轲]
- Dr. Thomas Weise, Assoc. Prof.
- Jin Ouyang [欧阳晋], Alumni R.A.
- Dr. Zhenyu Yang [杨振宇], Almuni PhD. Student
- Wenxiang Chen [陈文祥], Alumni Bachelor Student
- Dr. Yi Mei [梅一], Almuni PhD. Student
- "Nature Inspired Computation for Large Scale Optimization", supported by the graduate innovation funds of the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), 2008.1-2008.12 PI: Zhenyu Yang
4. Resulting Publications
4.1. Refereed Journal Articles
- A. Devert, T. Weise and K. Tang, "A Study on Scalable Representations for Evolutionary Optimization of Ground Structures," Evolutionary Computation 20(3):453-472, Fall 2012.
- Z. Yang, K. Tang and X. Yao, "Scalability of Generalized Adaptive Differential Evolution for Large-Scale Continuous Optimization," Soft Computing, 15(11): 2141-2155, November, 2011.
- Yu Wang, Bin Li, and Thomas Weise. "Estimation of Distribution and Differential Evolution Cooperation for Large Scale Economic Load Dispatch Optimization of Power Systems." Information Sciences — Informatics and Computer Science Intelligent Systems Applications: An International Journal, 180(12):2405-2420, June 2010.
4.2. Refereed Conference Papers
- J. Ouyang, T. Weise, A. Devert, and R. Chiong: "SDGP: A Developmental Approach for Traveling Salesman Problems," in Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI). Singapore, April 15-19, 2013.
- T. Weise, K. Tang and A. Devert: "A Developmental Solution to (Dynamic) Capacitated Arc Routing Problems using Genetic Programming," in Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO'12), Philadelphia, PA, USA, July 7–11, 2012, pp. 831-838.
- Wenxiang Chen, Thomas Weise, Zhenyu Yang, and Ke Tang. "Large-Scale Global Optimization Using Cooperative Coevolution with Variable Interaction Learning." In Robert Schaefer, Carlos Cotta, Joanna Ko l, and Günter Rudolph, editors, Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving From Nature, Part 2 (PPSN’10-2), volume 6239 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), pages 300-309, Kraków, Poland: AGH University of Science and Technology, September 11–15, 2010. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag GmbH.
- Thomas Weise, Li Niu, and Ke Tang. "AOAB — Automated Optimization Algorithm Benchmarking." In Black Box Optimization Benchmarking (BBOB’10), Companion Publication of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO’10 Companion), pages 1479-1486, Portland, OR, USA: Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront Hotel, July 7, 2010. New York, NY, USA: ACM Press.
- Zhenyu Yang, Jingqiao Zhang, Ke Tang, Xin Yao and Arthur Sanderson: "An Adaptive Coevolutionary Differential Evolution Algorithm for Large-scale Optimization", in Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC2009), Norway, 18th-21st May, 2009, pp.102-109.
4.3. Organized International Competitions
- Special Session on Large Scale Global Optimization at the CEC'2015
- Special Session on Large Scale Global Optimization at the 2014 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, July 6-11, 2014, Beijing, China
- Special Session on Evolutionary Computation for Large Scale Global Optimization at the 2012 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (CEC@WCCI-2012), June 10-15, 2012, Brisbane, Australia
- Special Session and Competition on Large Scale Global Optimization at CEC'2013
- Special Session on Large Scale Global Optimization at the 2010 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (CEC@WCCI-2010), July 18-23, 2010, Barcelona, Spain
- Special Session on Large Scale Global Optimization at the 2008 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (CEC@WCCI-2008) June 1-6, 2008, Hong Kong