- Prof. Ke Tang receives the Royal Society Newton Advanced Fellowship
- Prof. Huanhuan Chen receives the 2015 ACM Hefei Rising Star Award.
- The Hefei IEEE Computational Intelligence Society Chapter receives the 2015 IEEE CIS Outstanding Chapter award.
- Prof. Huanhuan Chen has been selected as the 2015 recipient of the Young Investigator Award by the Board of Governors of the International Neural Networks Society for his significant contributions in the field of Neural Networks.
- UBRI members received The China Institute Joint Li Siguang Sino-UK Publication Prize 2014, The University of Birmingham, for the paper: M. Lin, K. Tang and X. Yao, "Dynamic Sampling Approach to Training Neural Networks for Multiclass Imbalance Classification," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 24(4): 647-660, April 2013.
- UBRI members received the Outstanding Paper Award, The 18th Asia Pacific Symposium on Intelligent and Evolutionary Systems (IES2014), November 10-12, Singapore, for the paper: Z. Miao, J. Wang, A. Zhou and K. Tang, "Regularized Boost for Semi-supervised Ranking," in Proceedings of IES2014.
- Mr. Yan Jiang a Master Student at UBRI (NICAL) received a National Graduate Scholarship (研究生国家奖学金).
- Mr. Lingxi Li, a MSc student at UBRI (NICAL), won the 2014 President Award of Chinese Academy of
- Ms. Juan Wang, a Ph.D student at UBRI (NICAL), received a IEEE CIS Graduate Student Research Grant for her project "Large-Scale Capacitated Arc Routing Problem".
- Ms. Xiaofen Lu, a Ph.D student at UBRI (NICAL), received the 2013 Google Anita Borg Scholarship (for having demonstrated superior leadership, passion for Computer Science and academic achievement.)
- Ms. Xiaofen Lu, a Ph.D student at UBRI (NICAL), received the IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS) Graduate Summer Research Grants.
- Professor Ke Tang received The 2011 Natural Science Award (2nd prize) of Ministry of Education of China (formally announced in early 2012).
- Ms. Shi Wei, a Master Student at UBRI (NICAL) received a National Graduate Scholarship (研究生国家奖学金).
- Mr. Rui Wang, a PhD student from NICAL, received the 2012-2013 IBM Ph.D. Fellowship. The IBM Ph.D. Fellowship Awards Program is an intensely competitive worldwide program, which honors exceptional Ph.D. students who have an interest in solving problems that are important to IBM and fundamental to innovation in many academic disciplines and areas of study, including computer science and engineering, electrical and mechanical engineering, physical sciences (including chemistry, material sciences, and physics), mathematical sciences (including analytics, statistics, operations research, and optimization), public sector and business sciences (including urban policy and analytics, financial services, risk management, marketing, communications, and learning/knowledge management), and service science, management, and engineering (SSME).
- Dr. Huanhuan Chen, a research fellow from CERCIA, University of Birmingham, and one of the main collaborators at the Joint USTC-Birmingham Research Institute in Intelligent Computation and Its Applications, won the highly prestigious IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks Outstanding Paper Award:
H. Chen, P. Tino and X. Yao, "Probabilistic Classification Vector Machines," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 20(6):901-914, June 2009.
This award is competed internationally. Only one award was given in 2012.
- Mr. Qi Liu and Prof. Enhong Chen from Laboratory of Semantic Computing and Data Mining won the Best Research Paper Award of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM):
Qi Liu, Yong Ge, Zhongmou Li, EnHong Chen, and Hui Xiong, "Personalized Travel Package Recommendation," in Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM). This award is given to only one research paper from all the 47 papers accepted by the conference.
- Mr. Wenxiang Chen, an undergraduate student from NICAL, won the First Prize of the National "Challenge Cup" competition, which was held in Dalian. This competition is held annually in China for the best scientific research projects by undergraduate students. All participants at the national competition must be winners after two rounds of competitions at the university and province levels. Wenxiang entered NICAL when he was a second year undergraduate student under the supervision of Dr. Thomas Weise and Prof. Ke Tang. He then completed his final year BSc project at NICAL. His winning research was on "Large-Scale Global Optimization using Cooperative Coevolution with Variable Interaction Learning", which is a key issue in co-evolutionary learning. Before winning the national prize, Wenxiang also presented his paper at the Eleventh International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving from Nature (PPSN XI), held in Krakow, Poland on 11-15 September 2010. He was the only undergraduate author at this prestigious confernce in evolutionary computation. Wenxiang was later offered a full PhD scholarship to pursue his postgraduate study at Colorado State University with Prof. Darrell Whitley.
- One of the first PhD graduates from NICAL, Dr. Tianshi Chen, won the 2011 Chinese Academy of Sciences Outstanding PhD Thesis Award, for his research in the Computational Time Complexity of Evolutionary Algorithms. He entered NICAL in 2005 as a postgraduate student under the supervision of Profs. Ke Tang, Guoliang Chen and Xin Yao. During his PhD, Tianshi also visited CERCIA at the School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, UK. He is now working at the Institute of Computing Technologies, Chinese Academy of Sciences, and continues his collaborations with NICAL and CERCIA.
- Prof. Ke Tang, a full-professor and the Executive Assistant Director of NICAL, won the Outstanding Young Scientist Grant of the Anhui Province in September 2011 for his work in evolutionary computation and machine learning. There were only 20 winners in the entire Province, where there are at least 27 universities. He was the only winner in computer science.
- Prof. Xiaoping Chen and his student team (WrightEagle) from the MAS Lab won the Championship of RoboCupSoccer 2D Simulation League and the Runner-up in the in RoboCup@Home competition. Both the competitions are parts of the RoboCup 2011, held in Istanbul, Turkey, on 5-11, July, 2011.
- Miss Xiaofen Lu, a NICAL PhD student under the supervision of Profs. Ke Tang and Xin Yao, won the competitive 2011 Google Excellence Scholarship, which was awarded to the top research students who have demonstrated their superior academic achivement during postgraduate study.
- Dr. Huanhuan Chen, a research fellow from CERCIA, University of Birmingham, and one of the main collaborators at the Joint USTC-Birmingham Research Institute in Intelligent Computation and Its Applications, won the highly prestigious IEEE Computational Intelligence Society 2011 Outstanding PhD Dissertation Award for his dissertation entitled “Diversity and Regularization of Neural Network Ensembles", School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 2008
- Dr. Huanhuan Cao from the Laboratory of Semantic Computing and Data Mining won the 2010 Chinese Computer Federation Outstanding PhD Thesis Award, for his research in Context-Aware Query based on Large-Scale Search Logs. He entered Laboratory of Semantic Computing and Data Mining in 2005 as a postgraduate student under the supervision of Prof Enhong Chen. During his PhD, Huanhuan also won the very competitive Microsoft Research Asia Fellowshop and the Best Application Paper Award of KDD 2008.